I feel as though we've been everywhere and done everything and still not everything has been seen or done yet! Plans change and this summer has been no exception. I don't think anything here happens on any kind of schedule so this means the name of the game is flexibility. Add onto that patience, long-suffering, and self control. I admit, I've almost blown up a couple of times in the past few weeks. It's not easy to be partially responsible for seven people, besides myself, and it has all been a new lesson for me to learn.
I've been acting as the driver and have been driving everybody around (we've got one five passenger car at our disposal) and this, plus the traffic, really helps wear me out. I've had to follow other people who drive at 160kph (100mph) and fight my way through traffic with everyone else, plus trying to dodge people walking and riding bikes on the side of the road. Driving here is quite the experience, and I enjoy it, but sometimes it can get a little over-bearing. I'll leave it to my family to fill you in on how crazy it is; they've had a pretty good taste (and my dad's got video).
There have been many more things that have added to these past few weeks, which in turn have made me feel like I'm in a whirlwind. I won't go into all the details, but I will try and give updates on these weeks as soon as I have the time to do it. I hope that in my next few posts I'll be able to give a taste of what it has been like for me. I can't really say what it has been like for my family since I know that they have to be seeing things differently. I was the way they were when I was first here; now it's my turn to watch them from both sides. It would be different if I were just watching from the perspective of someone who lives here, but I'm not. They are my family and so I see more than what most people see. It's kind of hard to explain.
Imagine you had lived away from your family for more than a year and a half, seeing them off and on during a three year period. You've learned to live in a different country and have had some of the rosiness of your glasses rubbed off. You see things differently than when you first looked out on this foreign land. Now you have the chance to see you're family in the same environment as you have lived in. They get a taste of what you've by now had by the mouth-full; it's hard to explain what it tastes like. They look around and see things; you look around and see them. They're not exactly out of place but on the other hand they are not exactly in place. It makes me feel kind of awkward because I am attached to both and am yet not really a part of what they are experiencing. Needless to say, if I come up with a better explanation I'll try and write it out so it might make more sense.
1 comment:
It was so good to hear from you.
I know it's a daunting task to sit in front of a keyboard and try to write out all that goes on.
Post a Comment