Saturday, June 10, 2006

Work and a Wedding

This is Saturday. Yesterday was Friday, before that was Thursday, and Wednesday always comes before all these...... It's hard to catch up when you get behind. I know because that's where I am right now; still catching up.

On Wednesday Daniel and I spent the first couple hours of the day working upstairs on the windows. We didn't get very far, but at least we got started. The paint on this second window turned into a glue like substance whenever we put the torch to it, and thus it slowed us down considerably, seeing as how the putty knife we were using would get all gummed up after moving only a couple inches. The wood that the windows are made out of also helped impede our work since it is soft, which means the knife digs in all to easily (and it burns quickly!). At about 10:00 a.m. the dumpster finally came that we had been waiting on and, after changing into our work clothes, we started at the pile out in the courtyard. It pile wasn't junk as in "trash", rather it was a lot of stuff that just needed to be hauled away. There was some trash, but there were also leftover building materials, plaster that covered one of the walls in the basement, old (but cheap) pictures and picture frames, broken appliances, a busted door, dilapidated counter/drawers, etc. We were able to take care of just over half the pile before the dumpster was full to its limit. This was at about 2:00. The rest of the afternoon, which was kind of mine, I spent striping old paint off a chair that I pulled out of the junk. It was still usable, and underneath the pealing paint it was still plenty sturdy enough to be used without fear. That evening we had church, but I forgot when it started.

Thursday, after the previous dumpster was hauled off, dumped and brought back, we went back to work shoveling and wheel barrowing stuff out front. We had gained a man, which helped, so now we were up to a work force of four. This made it nice; two would shovel while two would sit, then the reverse - two would push wheelbarrows and two would sit. We were actually able to get some work done and finished cleaning out the courtyard that day. What a sight to behold! An empty courtyard! So now what? Well, we started looking at and thinking about the possibilities of finishing the cleaning and then building a sort of privacy fence/gate to cut off our little bit from the part that is not ours. Then we could put chairs/benches outside, set up some kind of grill and actually use the space for something usefull. Right now it still doesn't look like much, but most things don't when they are still in the evolving stage. After doing I don't know what, Daniel and I set out sound equipment for the wedding reception the next day.

Friday, yesterday, the day of Daniel (Dixi) A.'s wedding (NOT mine!). Daniel V. and I took the sound equipment to Piestiany where the reception was to be held later that evening. After doing this, we headed home and prepared things here at the church. The wedding itself was held in the Evangelical church, but the bride and groom's families were meeting here out our church. I got ready and left to walk the 1/5th of a mile to the Evangelical church. I got there with plenty of time and found a good spot to be able to take pictures from. The actual ceremonies were short and sweet and everything only lasted about forty minutes, but then came the congratuatorial line; this lasted for another forty minutes. It did help that, as everyone was waiting there turn, refreshments were being served by some young hands. This was great and I about stuffed myself on all the homemade sweets as well as some rolls that were just wonderful (Yugoslavian recipe). Then, after congratulations were given, everybody that was going to Piestiany tried to find a ride. I ended up riding with R&D* and we got there just as everybody else was arriving. To make a very long evening short (I wished) I will just say that there was lots of food, some nice live piano music (from Daniel A.'s cousin) plus ours, some "games", etc. It was enough to wear anybody out and that's just the way I felt when we left at midnight. Wow, I was able to make over six hours fit into two sentances!

And, my reader might wonder, what about today? I can't say because it's not over yet.

No comments: